Friday, November 23, 2012

open studio #3 - artist statement


In the previous posts I've shared the invitation, the preparation and how it was on open day. Here is my artist statement:


Artist Statement:

I am interested in times, places and spaces that don’t quite exist except in my imagination. A fractured sound, a single sight, be it morning, noon or night, might take me there, to a place similar to where I have once been, only this time everything is tranquil, serene. It’s a universal place that everyone can go, but it only exists because I made it so. 

I make art because I can. I always have and always will. I make art out of whatever is on hand and lately a lot of that has been online. Interconnecting with people to help them add to the artwork as in “1000 words for Summer project”, or “420 Characters” short story group or alone as in my moving postcards series, “Minutes by the Sea”. I am thankful for the opportunity to show others what I see and where possible let them engage with it too. The world is a big busy place and yet I like to take the time to see the little things and the much bigger things, the beauty that is all around, it’s just who I am.



I like to use natural based products, particularly paper. From the finest tissue to heavy-weight watercolour paper. I was brought up with antiques and love fine quality materials. I love fabric too because of it’s softness to touch, so I like working on canvas but I am beginning to work on wood.

As a Landscape Architect I was taught to draw technically, realistically in three dimensions with perspective. Now I might start with that to study what I am observing, but I prefer to distort and distill until I have captured it's essence. This paring back, editing out, stylising and pushing back to two dimensions is a process I find relaxing, enjoyable. It’s the same thing many of us do each year over Summer, sometimes at the beach when we are completely relaxed. A reflection on life to see what’s important. This is what I do.

Colour has now become very important to me after all those years preparing plans in black and white. Whilst I love graphite for it’s pure textural appeal, nothing brings me more to life than working with beautiful soft saturated colours landing on soft white smooth paper. Over the Summer I hope to work buttering canvases with layers of oil or plastering paper with colour. It takes time to develop these tastes and techniques and in today’s busy rush to instant success and pressure of rent bills, I am trying to take time to find what makes my heart sing, what makes me smile.


In the past I've been inspired by many great Australian artists who also attempted to capture the Australian landscape, it’s character and spiritual dimension. Recently I have been inspired by many artists who’s character and storytelling I’ve found online including Carlos Lascano, Su Blackwell, Creative Thursday, Julia CrosslandsDana Kinter and Flossy-p., to name a few.

This year I took the “Children’s Book Illustration” course at Sydney Uni, then Stephanie Levy’s “Creative Courage”, Kelly Rae Roberts “Flying Lessons” and most recently Koosje Koene’s “Just Draw IT” illustration e-courses and joined several online art groups.

I've given my Open Studio a title this year “Implosion” a celebration of chaos in creativity. It’s been a huge year learning and teaching art and blogging
classes and doing all my own work as well, so it all seems like chaos, wonderful chaos and I hope by pulling it all out things will look different beside other things, things created at different times in different ways, and through all the chaos something will arise. Exactly what, I’m not sure, but that’s part of the joy of it.
suzi poland 2012
      

When the show ended, before I closed the door, I did something completely new, I made this video for all of those who couldn't make it. A video artist statement of sorts. A BIG THANKS to everyone who wished me well ... this is for you.




BLOG SERIES "OPEN STUDIO" 
Other posts in this Blog Series "Open Studio" are:

24 comments:

Suzanne said...

Suzi, what an incredible story you have put together of making your dream come true. Thank you for your sharing. Your video was awesome. And I loved getting to see and hear you speak. Your voice and gentle nature truly reflect also in your artwork... everything seems to go together. There's a real softness to everything in your environment and with you as well. Wishing you lots of success. xo

blissrocksstudio said...

Suzi...thank you for sharing your artist statement!
It completely conceptualizes your "you"ness <3
Kristen

josephine said...

Suzi what an amazing journey you have been on and the BIGGEST congratulations to you on your studio opening- you are really inspiring :)

suzi poland said...

Thanks so much Suzanne, for all your support in the process of putting this all together. I really appreciate your generosity and very kind comments.

suzi poland said...

Kristen, you make me laugh thinking of me'ness, which is lovely. Thank you .

suzi poland said...

Josephine, I am very grateful to you for taking a look. I really do hope it inspire you to do something big, someday soon. :)

FlowGirl said...

Scared...Why? You did an amazing job in your video and your work and studio are !! Inspiring!. Thanks and keep up the good work way over there in Australia!!!1

Yvonne said...

Oh, Suzi! I'm always inspired to say 'speechless' when I see something that moves me, but then continue to comment on, so while I don't REMAIN speechless, in the moment, I was... I see your vulnerability in the video, and it's beautiful how you sort of come to life once you start talking about your art and what inspires you :) Truly wonderful to watch you 'live' - the image I 'composed' of you, in my mind, doesn't match, and yet it does :)
Your artist statement is inspiring - I'm thinking about writing my own, at some stage - it feels like it can really help to focus and to integrate different parts of the art making process - to help me to really start thinking of myself as an artist, even if it's only for me, at my dining table :)
Thank you so much for plucking up the courage to come here, into my living room - I truly appreciate your visit!!

Deborah Lynn said...

O Suzi Q ~ thank you!
for making this video for me~
I feel that I know you more.
I see that your ARTwork is prolific.
I rejoice in the "any day"
friendship we share!
(Diane is winking @ you.)

Art by Wiley said...

So lovely to actually 'meet' you! How brave and wonderful that you made this video. Your studio looks fantastic and you have such a huge body of work there! Congratulations on a successful studio opening and thanks for letting us 'be there' too ;)

suzi poland said...

Thanks Andrea, so happy to inspire, and receive such beautiful comments like yours. I promise to be less scared, everyday as I share more and more! Thanks for the encouragement. :)

suzi poland said...

Ha ha, thanks Yvonne, for not remaining speechless. I am intrigued to know what image you had of me and I'm sure if I did a few more I'd be even more in my groove! This is the first artist statement I've ever written, usually I've only written about a certain artwork, so it has helped. Definitely do one, even if it's for you. :)

suzi poland said...

Ah thank you so much Deborah, happy to share art with you any day too. I would have loved to have met Diane via video too, I bet Land Girl is smiling with us too. :)

Elizabeth Ann's Studio said...

Suzi--I *love* the moon paintings, especially the smallish triptych up on top of something else where the hills move throughout the three panels--what a lovely video--congratulations!

suzi poland said...

Jodi, thanks for your kind comments on my blog leading up to this opening. Yes it was brave! Hope it inspires you to do one too :) Just so you know, I did tidy the studio especially! It was lots of work but I am so happy I could have online friends feel like they were there too :)

suzi poland said...

Thanks Elizabeth Ann, the painting you refer to is titled "Sun setting, Moon rising" I painted it a few years ago and it has informed the more recent moon paintings you can see in the front. The moon is a strong theme in my work. Thank you for your lovely comments.

Helen A Naylor said...

Suzi you have always struck me as a artist who knows where she is right now and where she is going. What a brilliant idea of pulling every-thing out to see where you have been. This did not surprise me at all. It is a clever idea, one that I would expect you to come up with.
It was so sad not to have been there for your open studio, sad too that we are not neighbors either. I think being around you would be productivity energizing for my creative spirit. Your video made me feel like I could have been there. Hearing you speck of your work and show us too while you guided us through your artistic year in review made me stop and think, I should do this, oh may-be not ! I realised I have no great body of work to reflect. This needs to change and change I hope dearly it will. Thanks to you.
I look forward to reading and seeing what your review shows you to do next.
Best wishes Helen.

suzi poland said...

Thank you so much Helen, you know of course it was your little comments on Facebook that really gave me the desire to show everyone who could not come, for whatever reason, what it was like and what I've been up to. As you know it took a huge amount of courage to do this video as I am far more familiar with the camera lens looking away from rather than at me! I do hope you do it one day. I love that you feel inspired by hanging around here, I am sure you have more work than you realise, unless of course everyone has been busy buying! I was doing an oil painting this week and already things have started to merge. Watch this space is all I can say! Thank for popping by :)

Creatively yours Fi said...

Very inspiring Suzi :) I hope to have a studio one day and share all my art! Your work is very tranquil.....One day xX

suzi poland said...

Fi, that's all we can do is wish and hope and dream and then, if we do, one day it will come true. I visited artists studios when I was a young girl and I always wanted one all bright and white. I am so glad this inspires you,

Koosje Koene said...

I love your artist statement! Thank you for mentioning me, also in the video! It's great to see you in action! I wish I could've been there, your studio looks wonderful, and that table that you call the 'messy table', should be named the 'treasure table'!

suzi poland said...

Haha, Koosje, you are absolutely right that I need to rename it the treasure table, I will do that from now on. Thanks. It also explains why I can't just put the lot up "for sale". They are the seedlings and embryos of the next manifestation! Huge thanks to you and others who have taught me so much this year.

Lisa Rivas said...

Awesome Suzi, this is so incredible to see you and your realm. Love it. Congratulations on all these creative endeavors, you are on an amazing artistic path. Thank You for letting me see. A big hug to you and many more beautiful aquas :-)

suzi poland said...

Thanks Lisa for popping by and taking the time to look. I really appreciate your comments. It has been wonderful to connect this year with so many creative souls, people like you across the globe who not only create but also take time to inspire, share and nurture others. Thank you for your kindness.