Wednesday, January 2, 2013

1000 words for Summer - moonlight dancing

As the world celebrated the incoming New Year with a light show made of explosives, I thought of the light show I’d seen a few nights earlier on the Summer full moon. Down by the water, I sat overhanging the bay. Water lapping, boats swaying, tingling in the warm evening breeze. By the time it was dark, the moon was high in the sky to film. As the clouds passed the light dimmed too low for my camera to capture the tiny lights reflecting their colours across the bay.



I sat admiring the deep indigo blues, the creamy moon, the neon lights and the charcoal shadows of the clouds, I wanted to draw, I wanted to paint, I wanted to capture it all. It’s a special time of year, Summer. It’s easy to wander out at night, to feel free, let everything go, the way things want to flow. To dance in the moonlight. But right now only half the planet is in Summer, so it’s harder to share. But everyone shares the moon and it’s phases. Everyone can dance in the moonlight on the same night, twelve times a year.

Dreaming, gazing, still tired from celebrating the space between the Summer Solstice, Christmas and the New Year. I gently looked and then I saw it, there in front of me. A natural light show, dancing on the sea. Instead of looking up, I saw the moonlight by looking down. The reflections in the ripples just like the sun had done a few months ago in a minute by the sea “pool water”. I filmed a moving postcard, here it is for you to see.






That day my sketchbook for The Sketchbook Project finally arrived. When I came home from filming, I made some little scribbles. Later I worked them up as the first page of thirty in the little book which must be posted back by the 15th January! As friends wrote on my facbook page, I’ve got my work cut out for me!


A few nights later on New Years Eve, I went into Sydney and saw the fireworks show. It was spectacular! Fired by explosives, off buildings above, off barges and jetskis below. The beautiful coloured glow reflecting on the surface of the harbour and the white sails of the Opera House. I wondered how the aboriginies celebrated different times? They certainly danced, but did did they have fire shows and watch them glow? Did they watch the moonlight dancing on the water?


Sydney spent $7 million and millions came to watch from all over the globe. All over the planet, fireworks and smoke fill the air for that one special night of the year. It really is spectacular. But next time it’s moonlight, if you go down by the sea, there’s a natural light show you can see, it’s natural and it’s free! 





19 comments:

roaringout said...

Wonderful post, Suzi! I , too, love looking up at the moon. Good luck with your sketchbook project :) I was going to do that for the upcoming, but I knew I wouldn't have enough time to send it in before or on the 15th. Maybe next time. Can't wait to see what you do with your sketch!

Karrlin Bain said...

Thank you for sharing this lovely post! The pictures and the video are gorgeous and I like that I can share in the capture of such beauty without leaving my home. ~ Karrlin

suzi poland said...

Thanks Michelle, I hope you do the sketchbook one year, if you do, be sure to let me know.

suzi poland said...

Thanks Karrlin, isn't it wonderful that we can share so much across this big wide planet. I have really enjoyed meeting and sharing so much with you this year, you have been a real cheerleader supporter!!! I wish you a very Happy and Creative 2013! :D

Janine Whitling said...

lovely play of light on the water, thanks for sharing this with us.

Rita Juse-Cirkse said...

BEAUTIFUL! Thank you so much for sharing!

nini said...

What a lovely and playful video capture of the lights on the water. It looks like a figure is dancing.

And the sketchbook! This first spread is amazing. It's going to be wonderful to see it all done.

I wish you a happy and magical 2013!

Lisa Rivas said...

I just love this Suzi... the light show is fabulous... scribbles on water... I'm coming back to watch it some more... this is like me running to the other side of the word and resting at your shore.

I tried that Sketchbook Project a few years back and wasn't able to finish it in time... keep with it. Best for you!
Many blessings & a wonderful New Year 2013.

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

Such an enjoyable post and lovely pics and film. Happy New Year Suzi, have a wonderful 2013. Lesley x

suzi poland said...

Thanks Nini, I can't wait to see your sketchbook too. :)

suzi poland said...

Thank you Janine, glad you liked it. Happy New Year

suzi poland said...

Rita, I am so glad you liked it. I will enjoy meeting you each week this year. Thank you for providing the space to share.

suzi poland said...

So happy you liked it Lisa, pop by anytime! I have loved meeting and sharing with you this year, hope you have a very creative 2013.

Suzanne said...

Happy New Year Suzi. I loved your post. Loved the photos and especially the video of the moonlight dancing on water. Thank you for sharing so many of your thoughts and being able to show us the joys of the moon and summer through your eyes and your lens. I appreciate hearing about summer when we are in the midst of winter, cold temperatures and snow up here in Canada. xo

suzi poland said...

Thanks so much Suzanne, for your very kind words. It is lovely to share the wonders of this planet with you via these means. I am so glad you have enjoyed watching and reading and visiting my blog. Thanks for all your wonderful support this past year. I wish you a Happy and Creative 2013!

Koosje Koene said...

Beautiful, Suzi! I love your minutes by the sea, they're so peaceful.
Who needs fireworks and smoke, when there's such a beautiful show already?

suzi poland said...

Hi Koosje, I thought you'd like the scribbling dancing lines, nature drawing with light on the water! It has been lovely to meet and share so much with you this year. Your Just Draw IT e-course was one of the highlights. Happy New Year!

Amna Mehwish Art and Illustrations said...

Everything about your blog, this post and your art is simply and effortlessly beautiful Suzi. I love how you translated these photographs into this beautiful illustration for your sketchbook. Very impressive. So you.

suzi poland said...

Amna, thank you so much for your very kind compliments, "effortlessy beautiful" sounds beautiful to me. So kind. I have had such fun getting to meet you this past year and I really wish you a very Happy and Creative Year. I can't wait to see :D